Tap~Root is a New Jersey-based scientific consulting firm working with ingredient suppliers, manufacturers, retailers, and start-up businesses in the functional food, dietary supplements, and cosmeceutical industries. The company is owned and operated by Risa Schulman, PhD.
The consultants of Tap~Root provide services for health claims substantiation, product development, scientific communications, business strategy and ingredient sourcing for the dietary supplement, functional food and cosmeceutical industries. They also help established corporations enter these markets and provide technical and scientific expertise to companies investing in or consulting with these industries. Tap~Root works with clients in the continental USA, Hawaii, Europe, Israel, and Australia.
Risa Schulman, PhD, is founder and president of Tap~Root, a functional food and dietary supplement expert, professional speaker and writer, and an industry leader with 20 years of experience including at major industry players such as POM Wonderful, Solgar Vitamins and Mars Botanical.
A seasoned writer and speaker, Dr. Schulman has authored numerous articles and blog entries as well as a book entitled, “Pomegranates: Ancient Roots to Modern Medicine” (co-editor, Taylor & Francis, 2006) and scientific journal articles reporting on discoveries of new health benefits of foods. Dr. Schulman serves as an expert in multiple capacities. She is a member of the Wellness Advisory Panel for Plum Organics, is the expert in “Ask the Expert” of Ubiquinol.org and is a long-time past editor and reviewer for the American Botanical Council. She is also on the editorial and planning board for New Hope Natural Media. In addition, she is a Visiting Scientist at Rutgers University. Dr. Schulman holds a PhD in Plant Biology from Rutgers University, a Masters of Environmental Science from Yale University and a Bachelors of Science from Tufts University. …read more
Tap~Root draws from a highly skilled group of scientists, dieticians and marketers who have specific expertise, education and corporate experience that allow us to create a team focused on your company’s particular needs.
We highlight Barbara Schmidt, PhD, who brings a broad range of natural products experience, including expertise in cosmeceuticals and ingredient sourcing. …read more
Tap~Root Consulting Services
Tap~Root can be an essential partner in taking a product from ideation to shelf, providing scientific, regulatory, formulation, marketing and management consulting. Here are just a few of the ways we’re currently helping our clients and providing industry leadership:
- Claims, labels and messaging expert to established manufacturers, ingredient suppliers and up-and-coming start-ups
- Close adviser to a department of a large pharmaceutical company entering the industry
- Strategic partner to several start-ups and biotechs to aid in launch strategy and execution
- Partner to lawyers and investment bankers for regulatory due diligence and label claims defense
- Science Advisory Board member for DianaPlantSciences
- “Ask the Expert” for Ubiquinol.org and Puritans Pride
- New Hope Natural Media editorial and planning board member
- Expert writer and reviewer for the American Botanical Council
- Visiting Research Scientist at Rutgers University.
- Popular speaker for trade shows, webinars, sales meetings and continuing medical education
Check out our Services page for more about how we help companies.